Friday, February 27, 2009

God's Perfect Timing

We always tell moms their babies will come in God's perfect timing. We know there is a delicate dance that goes on between moms and biabies just before birth. Babies produce a hormone that prepares mom's body and moms produce a hormone that helps babies make the final adjustments before birth. Although that is a much simplified version of what goes on, it is true. Science is now able to document it.
This waiting game is often very difficult for moms in our culture. We want everything on an orderly time schedule, one that doesn't interfere with our other plans like work, birthday parties, special occasions, etc. It is hard to be still and wait upon the Lord.
I had an interesting experience today that brought this all to mind, I had my plans and my schedule. I had everything lined up to be in perfect synch with my plans. Meetings were scheduled, appointments were made, there was much driving involves so that was taken in to consideration.
As it turned out, we left later than expected, I had actually planned an extra bit of time so we were still ok. About an hour into our schedule of activities, two police cars past us at full speed and running their lights, a few minutes later two more police cars past in the same manner. I felt there must be s big problem ahead. Not too much time past and we came to a halt , inching forward at snail's pace. More police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, DOT trucks sped past. This thing must be huge. About two hours later, we approach the scene of the accident. Jay counte 17 vehicles, some mangled beyond belief. We made a quick adjustment in plans, cancelled one appointment which really needed to be done and thanked God for His protection. Two hours late and cancelled appointment are nothing like what these folks were going through.
We stopped to get coffee and just as we got back in the car my appointment called, turns out she was 15 minutes away from where we were and could go ahead and meet right now instead of later. THis was such a blessing because with that change, we could go on and do Jay's appointment and still make the last event of the day.
Everything worked out perfectly and I am grateful. I have to wonder what would have happened if we had left on time. We will never know, but for tonight I am going to be grateful for all things...Thankful Jay got to spend some time with his mom and dad, thankful we were running behind schdule, thankful for the flexibility of others, thankful for a wonderful and loving husband who was willing to let me do my appointment when we thought we could just do one and not both. I am thankful for traveling mercies as Jay and I are both on the road a lot!
Now back to the patiently waiting that comes in pregnancy, give thanks for the extra days you are able to carry you little one inside. It is a special blessing that is self limiting. This time will not last forever. We don't know what the future holds.

No comments: